Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Goossens (Hoh-sens).


Today is my 6th day here in Washington state. I am cuddled up with my flannel shirt and plaid pants and a cute little black chihuahua named Poco. The weather outside is, of course, beautiful. I am surrounded by green (and sometimes water) almost everywhere I go. I am sure by now my family is tired of my astonishment and excitement. I close my eyes and listen to the humming of birds and bees nestling into flowers, of animals hidden among the foresty trees...and I breathe in this crisp, refreshing air filled with many scents; flowers, wet wood, dew....some camp fire far off.
I have met a few of my many cousins, and aunts and uncles. They are very welcoming and inviting as if I had been here the whole time. It still doesn't feel real; that this family I have waited to meet is now right in front of me. After all, a family is what I have wanted my whole life; it's my dream. When the sun decides to come out, I close my eyes and let it's beams rest on my face. The perfect amount of warmth. I think of my Momma and how much I wish she was here-how much I know she would enjoy this. I think of when I hug her and cuddle into her neck and somehow, smell bananas. I think of how hot Tucson,Arizona probably is right now. I think of my home church. I think of my friends, the ones close and the ones that have faded away a little bit. I think of my sweet little dogs, Rescue and Lucy, who are both odd and cute. I think of the misconceptions others might have right now, and I think how much I would love to reconcile their thoughts, their ideas-but I'm not supposed to.
As I was boarding my plane from Tucson,AZ to San Diego,CA for the first part of my first flight, I was so tired that I thought my eyeballs might just fall out. I was praying that God would help me to look like a young woman who knew where she was going. I had to remember that I did-I do-know where I'm going.I prayed, most of all, that this was the Lord's will. I prayed for ease of worries-because I knew dwelling on future mistakes or mishaps does not involve faith. And more than anything, I want to trust the Lord. I will tell you that the whole traveling experience could not have gone better. No extra fees, no confusion about seating, no awkward or rude staff or fellow strangers. I just had to remember: one step at a time, take it with a grain of salt. So I focused on what I could do now. Grab my bags, shift around the way I needed, etc. Look out the window; my goodness how small we really are. On my second flight from San Diego,CA to Seattle, WA I met a girl named Amanda. She happened to be from the same town that I was going to- Port Orchard. Previously I prayed that the Lord would give me an opportunity to witness-and, in His own way-He did. I was amazed at how...I don't even want to say unusually well...but I will...this whole flight experience went. Amanda and I exchanged numbers, though we have yet to make contact. I seal that whole eight hours in my heart as a jewel, as a memoir that God does as He pleases. He is faithful in leading me where He wants. I just have to trust Him-and make my cares of Heavenly affairs above all.
I know that where I am is where God wants me to be.
Talking to one of my Aunts, I learned already so much about the Goossens. I learned you actually pronounce Goossens like Ghoossens (Hoh-sens). I giggle along as she tells me, and nod my head in agreement when she refers to the women of the family. I am an Auntie to as many children as I have fingers (who knows, maybe more!). They embrace me with sweet hugs, these energized little boys. I am blessed with how gentlemanly and accepting they are towards me. There are many little ones and I am loving it. I am wishing to be a blessing, a good asset, to my family here.
I'm not sure where to go from here but I seem to have plenty of time on my hands. I am so eager to go that it's easy to forget my Heavenly Father-how am I supposed to follow Him if I don't seek Him? I get so worried that I forget this life He has given to me in the sacrifice of Christ's life. I have no need to worry ; only do well with now. Seek His face in the seemingly mundane; God has placed me at this place at this time for a reason. Instead of dwelling on what should be, I should rejoice in the Lord and thank Him. After all, He is the deepest desires of my heart. I am called to serve Him-and oh, how badly I want to! And, you know, I can now, with what I have been given now. Isn't that how this all works?
I will be meeting my earthly father not this weekend, but the next. So please pray for me, or rather, would you pray for him, please? I don't know what to expect...I guess I don't have to...but I just want the best, I want a genuine relationship with the Lord, for him. And I am sure, God wants that most, of course.
There is quite a bit I know I'd like to work on in many ways, but I will sum it up in this: I just want to know Jesus more, growing in trust and faithfulness towards Him, and also in service to Him in each season. I don't want to make this life about myself by focusing on myself.
Dear Reader, I pray for you to be most deeply encouraged, most deeply convicted, most deeply blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post, Rachel. We pray you will be a blessing to your family and blessed by them as well. Enjoy the cool weather.

    Ronda Caballero

    ReplyDelete